100 common risks for business analysis
I fully understand the danger of writing this article.
Many of my learned BAs will jump to the conclusion that such an exercise is an exercise in futility.
There is no way one can get a comprehensive risk list. Clients, projects, teams vary widely.
What’s the point in trying to develop such a checklist?
My answer will be “Why should we wear a seatbelt when there are hundreds of risks one faces while driving?”
We possibly can’t manage all risks, but some risks can actually be predicted and hence better managed.
Some of BA major risks that I have come across in my business career are below:
(These are not in priority or order – We can do that later).
- Incomplete stakeholder list
- Incomplete non-functional requirements
- Silent stakeholders
- Stakeholder dis-agreement on requirements
- Stakeholder dis-agreement on priorities
- Stakeholder non-availability
- Lack of adequate details in requirements
- Implicit requirements
- Changing scope
- Lack of adequate time for business analysis
- Lack of BA domain knowledge
- Stakeholders pushing through requirements
- Delay in stakeholder acceptance
- Lack of stakeholder domain knowledge
- Changing business environment
I invite fellow business analysts to add to the above list.
If we can come up with 100 common risks, that will be a great value for the entire BA community.
I am a professional BA, trainer, coach and author.
If you like my posts please like/share/comment and spread the word in your network.
Would love to connect with fellow professionals.
You can also reach me at LNMishra@AdaptiveProcesses.com
About my organization, Adaptive Processes
We provide training, study guides, question banks, necessary PDUs for ECBA, CCBA, CBAP and CPRE certifications.
For more details, please visit www.AdaptiveProcesses.com
24+ years of professional experience inbusiness analysis, software product development, business analysis, ERP implementations, software processes , strategic Change Management Consultancy.
Author of 12 books on Business Analysis and Requirements Engineering
Latest posts by LN (see all)
- Business analysis estimation – Theory vs. Practice - July 10, 2017
- Coolest trick to get 60 hours out of thin air for your CBAP exam - July 5, 2017
- 100 common risks for business analysis - June 20, 2017