CCBA V2 vs. CCBA V3 – A whole new perspective
IIBA® recently modified the mid-level BA CCBA® certification, including the name.
Considering the fact that it required lesser experience than CBAP®, number of CCBAs should outnumber number of CBAPs. This is due to the simple fact that IT has a large young workforce. However, number of CCBAs remained lower than CBAPs. Possibly the reasons were:
Gap between experience requirement between CCBA® and CBAP® is not very wide (just little over 2 years) – This prompted many professionals to wait for CBAP® than going in for CCBA®.
- Fees for both exams were same.
It was tough to complete CCBA® V2. This primarily happened due to the question pattern for CCBA® V2 which was quite memory intensive.
But with introduction of V3 version of the examination, scenario has changed quite substantially.
Here is a detailed comparison between CCBA V2 vs. V3
Aspects those are same as before
The good part is many aspects do remain same between CCBA® V2 and CCBA® V3. Here are the key ones:
- Work experience requirements remain same.
- Reference requirements remain same.
- Fees remain same
- Exam mode remains same (i.e. Prometric).
- PDU requirements remain same (21 hours)
Aspects those are changed
However, there are many significant changes in the examination content and pattern. The key ones are:
The reference standard is changed
CCBA® V3 is based on BABoK® V3 where as CCBA® V2 was based on BABoK® V2. BABoK® V3 is significantly changed over BABoK® V2. BABoK® V3 has added 16 more techniques. # of pages of content added is almost 100% more than BABoK® V2.
Given the amount of change in BABoK® V3, it is essential that one goes through a workshop aligned to BABoK® V3.
Questions are changed from memory based approach to concept based approach
Question content for CCBA® V3 is vastly different from V2. Questions are now largely concept based than being memory based which was the case for CCBA® V2.
CCBA® V2 had 150 questions for 3.5 hours whereas CCBA® V3 has 130 questions for 3 hours.
This makes it much easier now to take CCBA® V3 than CCBA® V2.
CBAP® V3 is much more tougher than CBAP® V2
At the same time, Question pattern for CBAP® V3 is significantly changed from CBAP® V2 question pattern.
In CBAP® V2, there were 150 questions, majority (approx. being 80%) being scenario based questions and 20% definition oriented questions.
In CBAP® V3 certification examination, IIBA® has introduced case based questions for the first time.
Each case is around 1 to 2 pages long and likely to have 4 to 6 questions per case. Of the 120 questions in CBAP® V3, around 40 to 50 questions (approx. 35% to 40%) are likely to be case based and rest 70 to 80 questions (approx. 60 to 65%) are likely to be scenario based.
This makes it much tougher now to appear for CBAP® V3 than CBAP® V2.
CBAP® V3 requires 35 PDUs against CCBA®’s 21 hours means CBAP® trainings will be more expensive than CCBA® V3.
Preparation effort for CCBA® V3 will be lesser than CCBA® V2
Given the change in question pattern, effort needed to complete CCBA® V3 will be lesser than CCBA® V2.
A good number to look at will be 150 hours +/- 20 hours depending on what one should be spending on preparing for CCBA® V3.
If you are looking for CCBA® V3 simulators, make sure that the CCBA® V3 simulator provides you with good number of scenario based questions.
How should you go about taking up CCBA® V3 examination
If you would like to undergo CCBA® V3 training, my organization, Adaptive Processes provides CCBA® V3 workshops with success guarantee.
For first 3 months of this year, we are offering even a very exciting offer, one year free membership with IIBA®, that’s a whopping USD 125 benefit to you.
We provide 35 hours training for CCBA® where as IIBA® mandates only 21 hours. This is essential as 21 hours will be quite in-adequate given the fact that BABoK® V3 is 200% of BABoK® V2.
Our CCBA® V3 simulator provides 900+ questions of which approximately 400 questions are scenario based and 500 questions are concept based.
Our courses are conducted online in weekends making it feasible for anyone to join from anywhere in the world.
We also keep the batch size below 10 so that every participant gets adequate attention from the faulty.
Our faculties are all practicing BAs with 20+ years of industry experience.
You also get a study handout of 300+ pages.
Take a look at the sample course material over here:
Sample Study Guide and Question Bank
The Adaptive learning platform, SuXeed, is loaded with 900+ questions with 6 simulations for ECBA and takes the participant through a gradual process of learning for CCBA certification with Concept questions ->Drill questions – > Simulation tests.
This process enhances learning and clarity of concepts, which ultimately helps the professional to be a better business analyst end of the day.
See a small video on the learning platform here –
The learning should be based on concepts/skills and should ultimately help anyone in their day to day job rather than only getting a certificate.
About my organization: Adaptive Processes (AdaptiveProcesses.com)
- My organisation Adaptive Processes provides support in all steps of going for CCBA® certification.
- We provide instructor-led online training to clarify your concepts on BABoK® and also provide the 35 hours of PDUs needed for CCBA®.
- We provide 100 + learning videos, which you can use to hone your concert on BABoK®.
- Also, we provide 700+ questions including and simulation tests for CCBA®. This will make sure that you will confidently appear for the certification examination. To learn more about our CCBA® certification program details, please visit AdaptiveProcesses.com/CCBA.
- We provide end to end BA services – staffing, skill development, BA process improvement, BA solution.
- Our 150+ clients include Credit-Suisse, RBS, Vodafone, AkzoNobel, Bank of Tanzania, HP, SAP, Allianz-Cornhill etc.
- Adaptive is one of World’s leading BA training provider and one-of-the-very first EEP for IIBA® and IREB®.
- Adaptive Processes provides CBAP, CCBA, ECBA, CPRE, Agile BA and other business analysis certification training online and consulting needs for Individual or Corporate either online or offline. Adaptive Processes is an endorsed education provider of IIBA® Canada and IREB® Germany.
- Learn more on this training here:
I am a professional BA trainer, coach and author with Adaptive Processes, a leading business analysis solutions (training, consulting and product) organization.
If you like my posts please like/share/comment and spread the word in your network.
Do connect with me on LinkedIn.
You can reach me at LNMishra@AdaptiveProcesses.com.
Happy reading and have a wonderful day and do provide your suggestions and comments.
24+ years of professional experience inbusiness analysis, software product development, business analysis, ERP implementations, software processes , strategic Change Management Consultancy.
Author of 12 books on Business Analysis and Requirements Engineering
Latest posts by LN (see all)
- Should one pursue a career in Business Analytics or Business Analysis? - May 24, 2017
- CBAP Aspirants : Spend an extra month with your loved ones - May 16, 2017
- Demystifying BABoK V3 terms – Part 1 - April 24, 2017