How different is CBAP V3 from CBAP V2?
Difference in CBAP V3 from CBAP V2:
Constant query of our Participants from Oct 2016
Many had prepared for V2 but for some reason could not take the test.
Most common questions asked are:
- Will my CBAP® V2 training be good enough for CBAP® V3?
- Will my application be still valid?
- Will the preparations be similar to V2?
- How should my preparation be different?
Let me answer this question based on our interactions with IIBA®.
Aspects, those are same as before;
The good part is many aspects do remain same between CBAP® V2 and CBAP® V3. Here are the key ones:
- Work experience requirements remain same.
- Reference requirements remain same.
- Fees remain same
- Time allotted for the examination remains same.
- Exam mode remains same (i.e. Prometric).
Aspects, those have changed;
However, there are many significant changes in the examination content and pattern. The key ones are:
1. CBAP® V3 is based on BABoK V3 where as CBAP® V2 was based on BABoK V2. BABoK V3 is significantly changed over BABoK V2. BABoK V3 has added 16 more techniques. # of pages of content added is almost 100%.
Given the amount of change in BABoK V3, it is essential that one goes through a workshop aligned to BABoK V3.
2. CBAP® V3 requires 35 hours of PDUs. This was 21 hours in CBAP® V2. This clearly means training workshops which offered 21 PDUs for V2 won’t suffice.
3. Given the increase in volume and complexity, we recommend another 25% preparation time for CBAP® V3 against CBAP® V2.
A good number to look at will be 200 hours +/- 20 hours depending on what one should be spending on preparing for CBAP® V3.
4. Question pattern for CBAP® V3 is significantly changed from CBAP® V2 question pattern.
In CBAP® V2, there were 150 questions, majority (approx. being 80%) being scenario based questions and 20% definition oriented questions.
Case based questions are newly introduced in CBAP® V3.
In CBAP® V3, there are only 120 questions. Each case is around 1 to 2 pages long and likely to have 4 to 6 questions per case.
Of the 120 questions in CBAP® V3, around 40 to 50 questions (approx. 35% to 40%) are likely to be case based and rest 70 to 80 questions (approx.60 to 65%) are likely to be scenario based.
If one is looking for CBAP® V3 simulators, make sure that the CBAP® V3 simulator provides you with good number of case based questions.
If you would like to undergo CBAP® V3 training, my organization, Adaptive Processes provides CBAP® V3 workshops with success guarantee.
For first 3 months of the year, we are offering even a very exciting offer, one year free membership with IIBA®, that’s a whopping USD 125 benefit to you.
Our CBAP® V3 simulator provides 1000+ questions of which approximately 200 are case based, 400+ are scenario based and 400+ are concept based.
Happy reading and have a wonderful day and do provide your suggestions and comments.
I am a professional BA trainer, coach and author with Adaptive Processes, a leading business analysis solutions (training, consulting and product) organization.
If you like my posts please like/share/comment and spread the word in your network.
Do connect with me on LinkedIn.
About Adaptive Processes
End to end BA services – Staffing, skill development, BA process improvement, BA solution.
Our 200+ clients include Credit-Suisse, Vodafone, AkzoNobel, Bank of Tanzania, HP, SAP, Allianz-Cornhill etc.
Adaptive is India’s leading BA training provider and one of the very first EEP for IIBA and IREB.
We have trained more than 3000 business analysts and conducted 200+ workshops in India, USA, Thailand and Philippines.
We are an existing partner to IREB, Germany and IIBA, Canada.
You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
24+ years of professional experience inbusiness analysis, software product development, business analysis, ERP implementations, software processes , strategic Change Management Consultancy.
Author of 12 books on Business Analysis and Requirements Engineering
Latest posts by LN (see all)
- Are you a busy executive looking for compact content on BABoK V3? - February 24, 2017
- How we cut our recruitment cost by 10X with much better results! - February 23, 2017
- CCBA V2 vs. CCBA V3 – A whole new perspective - February 13, 2017