Why study groups may not be the best approach for CBAP now
I interact with 50+ business analysis professionals every month who aspire to complete CBAP certification. This has been the case for almost 5 years now, so I would have listened to 2500+ BAs.
Many of them seek advise on the right approach to appear for the examination.
Let me describe benefits and limitations of various approaches.
1. Study group approach
1. Interact with like minded professionals over a prolonged period
2. Great opportunity to network
3. Low or almost 0 cost option as the study groups are voluntary groups
1. Lack of adequate study material though can be procured online. Many EEPs including Adaptive sell their study material online.
2. May not have access to question banks. Many EEPs including Adaptive sell question banks.
3. Takes longer duration. Nothing can be done as this is a voluntary group. This becomes an issue when you are trying to complete the certification in a time bound manner.
Since CBAP certification scheme is changing in next 2 months, this approach will almost force you to take examination in V3 scheme than V2 scheme.
CBAP examination is likely to become tougher in V3 than V2.
4. Success probability is lower.
2. Prep class approach
1. Access to an expert faculty to clarify doubts
2. Access to good study material
3. Access to question banks
4. Can be completed in a time bound manner. Adaptive CBAP workshops including mock question banks can be completed in 2 weeks time.
5. Possibility of success is higher. We have 100% success rate for CBAP certification so far.
This will allow one to appear for V2 examination scheme.
1. Limited opportunity to network
2. Relatively higher cost option.
So now it’s up to you to decide. If one is willing to wait and take up V3 examination, study group approach will possibly work better.
But if you are looking for a time bound approach and looking for a higher success rate, do consider a prep class approach.
Happy reading and have a wonderful day and do provide your suggestions and comments.
I work as Principal Consultant and Trainer with Adaptive Processes, a leading requirement engineering solutions (training, consulting and product) organization. You can reach me at email@example.com.
If you like my posts please like/share/comment and spread the word in your network.
About Adaptive Processes
End to end BA and RE services – Staffing, skill development, RE process improvement, RE solution.
Our RE services clients include AkzoNobel, Cross-domain, Bank of Tanzania, HP, SAP, Allianz-Cornhill etc.
Adaptive is India’s leading BA training provider and one of the very first EEP for IIBA and IREB.
We have trained more than 2000 business analysts and conducted 200+ workshops in India, USA, Thailand and Philippines.
We are an existing partner to IREB, Germany and IIBA, Canada.
You can get more details about our RE services @ http://www.adaptiveprocesses.com/corporate/re.php
24+ years of professional experience inbusiness analysis, software product development, business analysis, ERP implementations, software processes , strategic Change Management Consultancy.
Author of 12 books on Business Analysis and Requirements Engineering
Latest posts by LN (see all)
- 100 common risks for business analysis - June 20, 2017
- Stakeholder groups vs. UN Security Council – What’s the commonalities? - June 5, 2017
- Certifications are truly useless. Only if…. - May 29, 2017